â€œIt is appalling that after hearing witness after witness testify that much more needs to be done on missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls, the Conservatives could produce a sanitized report saying that everything is fine,â€� said NDP Aboriginal Affairs critic Jean Crowder (Nanaimo Cowichan). â€œThis is an intergenerational tragedy that demands immediate action.â€�
The NDPâ€™s dissenting report recommends that the federal government:
- establish a National Commission of Public Inquiry to analyze violence against Indigenous women and girls;
- utilize Niki Ashtonâ€™s motion (M-444) to develop and implement a national action plan to address violence against Indigenous women and girls;
- ensure that Indigenous women lead, design and implement solutions to address this crisis;
- address chronic underfunding including key frontlines services, shelters, child welfare, and research; and
- invest in prevention and treatment services.
â€œThe Conservatives have turned their backs on Indigenous women and their families but ignoring this serious issue wonâ€™t make it go away,â€� said NDP deputy Aboriginal Affairs critic Jonathan Genest-Jourdain (Manicouagan). â€œThe NDP will keep pushing for action on this national tragedy.â€�