Tell the government to protect the environment instead of defending the Trans Mountain pipeline.
Instead of spending billions of public dollars on fossil fuel infrastructure and subsidies, Canada should invest in clean, renewable energy sources that create good quality, long lasting jobs for today's workers and the next generation. Moreover, the tens of billions spent on the Trans Mountain project could have been better used to strengthen and renew the social safety net that Canadians so desperately need.
- It disregards the rights of Indigenous peoples to say no to any project affecting their lands, territories or other resources.
- It increases greenhouse gas emissions, making it impossible to meet Canada’s global climate targets.
- It means inevitable bitumen oil spills that put Canada’s environment, coastlines, waterways, and wildlife at risk.
- It threatens thousands of good quality jobs in Canada’s marine and tourism industry.
- It requires massive public funds to build - over $15 billion- and employs only 60 new positions after completion.
Add your name if you think Canada should invest in a clean energy economy.